Friday, June 13, 2008

I feel like I'm a horse owner!

It's a wonderful feeling!!

I've been preparing for a trail ride that my mentor invited me to go on with Dixie. I am super excited. I have never actually went on a trail ride in where I'm responsible for the horse that I'm riding.

Within the last year, I have been on two trail rides with WTS. The first was to a local AEP bridle trail and camp area. I rode Harey and WTS took care of everything. He's their horse after all. I also went to a Best of America by Horseback trail ride. That was crazy! I also rode Harvey then. There were well over 200 horses and people. Harvey did wonderful. Unfortunely when we were there, a horse flipped over while going down a muddy hill and was put to sleep. That was a horrible situation to even hear about, yet alone be there to witness the perchies dragging the barely alive horse into the barn with the owner in tears.

Anyways, so I have had to get a few things for the trail ride. Mom went ahead and ordered all of the grooming supplies that I need and a 3-piece saddle bag set, it includes a horn bag, cantle bag, and a saddle bag. I ordered it in black, yes I know, I play it safe. I can't for the life of me deicde on a color for Dixie! And they didn't have purple anyways which seems to be the color that I'm leaning towards for her. I keep on going back to purple.

Dad also took me out today and we bought a black breast collar but hey it has purple, blue, and pink accents!! We also went to TSC (Tractor Supply Company) and bought a blue lead rope with a sweet bull snap that I love. I've never been a fan of bull snaps because I could never get the hang of it, this one has a groove in where you would put your thumb to push it out and it's sooo easy! We also got some Pyranha fly spray for the trail ride. Thanks Dad!

Just to help me organize myself, here is my list of what to bring to the trail ride:
  • Saddle bags - maybe the horn bag and then the saddle bag that goes on the back if I really need it.
  • Water bottles - we bought some aquapods, they're super small water bottles that could easily slip into my horn bag and better yet my sucky caps fit on the smaller bottles!
  • Beef Jerky, Sunflower seeds (thanks to dad, I'm addicted), some sort of energy bar...I think that's about all I need food-wise.
  • Poncho or Rain Jacket if I bring the larger saddle bag.
  • I figured that I'll go ahead and bring my grooming supplies since I'll have them anyways and I'll want to use them.
  • Breast Collar of course, I need to just make sure that it fits her correctly. She's a stocky, short, fat pony.
  • Money
  • Everything else I believe is coming from WTS such as the saddle, bridle/bit, splint boots if needed, and saddle pad.

No comments: