Monday, June 23, 2008

My Day with Dixie and Dad






My dad and mom still haven't met Dixie and since she's a pretty big part of my life right now, I think that it's best that they do. So my dad came out with to the stable on Saturday as both a camera man and as a dad meeting "my" horse.

We started out by getting her out of the pasture of course. They were all up by the gate, thank god, since they were just fed. That pasture is so big and everytime I go out there, it seems that Dixie is as far as she could be from the gate. I need to figure out their watering schedule. Anyways, so I walked into the pasture and called out her name. She was hilarious. She was on the other side of Missy, this big paint broodmare, and as soon as she heard her name, she moved her head just below Missy's big 'ole head just enough so that she could see me. When she realized that I was coming to get her, she walked lazily away. She's playing a game, it's not because she doesn't want to caught, she's teasing me. So as she walked away, Cookie and Patches came up to say hello. I gave them attention and ignored her for a bit. I then went to go get her and yet again, she walked slowly away just far enough so I couldn't get her. She finally let me walk right up to her.

About 10 minutes after we were inside, a severe thunderstorm started. She did ok in the crossties while I was tacking her up until something hard started hitting the roof, then she got nervous so I unhooked the crossties and just had her with her lead rope for a while. Finally everything calmed down and I finished tacking. I was debating whether or not to actually ride but she seemed to be doing fine. We didn't have a very long ride, we both were feeling pretty lazy and we had numerous problems (not me or her, in the arena) during our ride so that made it harder to ride longer. I just decided to go ahead and hop off but I didn't want to untack her and just take her back outside, especially since it was still storming so I waited for the roundpen to be free and then I did a join up with her. She did pretty good, only a few wrong turns but she came in very nicely.

It was really nice tonight because we just had some very relaxing no expectations bonding time together while me, my dad, and another very talkative boarder talked. She was so sweet, she kept on laying her head in my arm and falling asleep.
I really love spending time with her and she is absolute joy to ride.

My dad took some pictures and videos for me. I was amazed at how good she looked and how wonderful we looked together. This was the first time that I've seen me riding her on video, I never knew what we looked like. In my head, we looked like a train wreck....now, I know we don't.

No comments: