Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rode Dixie Yesterday

It was an ok ride. She did great in the last half of our ride but she was a pill in the first. There was another rider about my age in the arena with me so that made it hard and plus I'm always intimidated by other riders my age, I have no idea why. It would have been so much easier if she just stayed on one side but she basically rode a circle around me which became fustrating because I wasn't totally sure where Dixie would go, she had a couple of bucking spirts. I've realized that I really need the whole arena. I had the whole arena in the last half and my mentor was helping me, Dixie did so much better. She's just not controlled/balanced at the canter yet.

I also rode in an old treed barrel saddle...my bum hurts like crazy! That treeless has spoiled me. Trees are so hard after you've been riding in a treeless for almost two years.

I still haven't technically started the lease on Dixie but it will start soon and I'll be trying her out in different bits and doing different things so she can learn to accept contact and the bit. My mentor also suggested that I lunge Dixie before hand with side reins so I don't have to work so hard to get her calmed down in the bit. I'm excited to see how she reacts to everything.

On a really good note. I went out to see her and just say hi and she walked right up to me and put her soft horsey nose on my cheek, I melted. She's never done this, if anything, she gives you a hard time catching her. It was so sweet and then when I actually really brought her in to ride, she nickered at me when I left the aisle way.

I feel so loved.

No comments: